Wednesday 22 December 2010

Baby Logic!

Dear Friends
As 2010 draws to a close, and the Islamic New Year has begun, I am deeply reflecting about the last 12 months of my life.
There have been many momentous changes but the greatest was when I became a Dad. Zahra is the love of my life and it is such a joy to see this angelic flower unfold before my eyes. She is such a bundle of magic and laughter and has permanently scented mine and Robina’s lives. Mashallah.
Zahra if not every baby’s greatest asset is their innate motivation which knows no bounds. It is amazing that tears and tumbles do not stop her from moving forward. Whether it is learning to talk or sit she never gives up. Amazing!
So why does this innate motivation wither away as we grow older? Is it social conditioning? Or is it self-doubt? Whatever it is I augur that one of the functions of any authentic spiritual path is to take the aspirant back to that pure innate motivation. Inshallah.
Now I appreciate one of my all time favourite Sufi metaphors – The never giving up Salik / Spiritual Traveller. He or she falls down but gets up and keeps going...

Keep walking...

Faisal

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on becoming a father and sharing the joy with us. I'm especially happy that you reminded us of a baby's relentless optimism no matter what. This is very meaningful to me right now in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for engaging with me...Salaam faisal

    ReplyDelete