Thursday 6 January 2011

Mopping the Soul...

Dear Friends
One of my favourite 'non-thinking' weekly activities is mopping my folk's big kitchen floor. I will blast the Bollywood and get stuck in. Over the years I have become a dab hand at cleaning and it is really great seeing the final product namely a shining floor and a big smile from my Mum.
For a long time I considered this activity as good exercise however, last weekend it occurred to me that there is a lot more going on that meets the eye. Over the years I have discovered tricks to cut the cleaning time without jeopardising the quality which is very satisfying. But why do I find this activity so fulfilling and actually look forward to doing it!?!
Upon reflection this small activity is deeply nourishing my soul as it is 'my' time, space, and I have total control. There are no targets or boss watching or monitoring me. I am not competing with anyone and remain highly motivated. I take the initiative and the pay-off is immeasurable so much so that I chastise my other siblings for not maintaining my high standards! : )
Can this humble mopping experience be transferring to my worldly and otherworldly work especially my research, teaching and consulting? YOU BET!
I am reminded of another beautiful metaphor…
Naiki kar aur Darya mein dhaal…Do good deeds and throw them into the river…
This is such a rich metaphor and I leave it to your imagination and soul to decipher…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYLseVbOHjk

Now we are free…

Faisal

No comments:

Post a Comment