Wednesday 22 June 2011

A.A. Spirituality...

Dear Friends
Alcoholics Anonymous is one of the most spiritual and effective organisations on the planet. For decades it has quietly gone about transforming the lives of millions of peoples across the globe.

I once had the honour of attending an A.A meeting where I was supporting a friend who was a recovering alcoholic.  I was struck by the sense of community and crucially welcome afforded to even non-Alcoholics and the way new members were made the 'stars'. The latter were encouraged to discuss their trials and tribulations and were given much love.

I vividly remember talking to the facilitator who had been clean for 20 years and was celebrating his ' A.A birthday' that day. He talked passionately about his Christian faith and a Jesus (pbuh) who was a strong fisher man who enjoyed being in the company of those who were on the margins of society. Truly inspiring…

In contradistinction to the above I find most religious even Sufi settings to be stuffy and full of politicking. The Shakyh is centre stage and is surrounded by his inner circle. There is no Prophetic aroma merely a didactic flow of gibberish that is poorly clothed in Quran and Sunnah. Not until Muslim Scholars become vessels for the divine origin there will be discord and acrimony….

I have seen my Lord with the eye of my heart, and I said: "Who are You?" He said:"You." (Diwan al-Hallaj, M. 10)


Faisal

No comments:

Post a Comment